Pierce Morley-Barnes, of Cricket World®, writes about his progress as an aspiring county cricketer...

Tuesday 3 June 2008

10/10 Cricket Heralds Return To Form

I turned up to the match on Saturday in the ECB Premier League against Haxey, ready for action and rearing to go. I joined in with a bit of changing room cricket before we moved onto the outfield to get some fielding going and hit a few balls in the nets.

This match was a must win for Lindum as we had lost against Woodhall Spa on the previous weekend. So when we won the toss and elected to bowl on a decent wicket, and saw their opener bowled third ball then we were elated. But Haxey’s Sri Lankan overseas professional dug in after being struck on the helmet and hit a dogged 70 odd in a solo effort. Wickets tumbled as Haxey were reduced to 179-9 off their 50 overs, with a fair few run outs near the end of the innings.

In reply, we made light work of the total and knocked it off with the loss of just one wicket. New Zealander Josh Brodie hit a classy century as he continued to impress me greatly. He is definitely one for the future and is set to play a lot for Wellington over this winter (New Zealand’s summer) and is tipped to play in New Zealand colours one day.

Unfortunately for me this meant that I did not get into bat and couldn’t show my new club what I could do, but on the whole it’s a team game and I enjoyed the day!

On Sunday, I played in a 7 a-side tournament and had some time at the crease, feeling in form for the first time this year. With the overs so short, you had to be positive from the off and I think this helped me relax and not worry about the game.

So I went out there with a clear mind and played the ball as I saw it. First game I hit a quickfire 32 opening the innings that included a few sixes, I think that I actually timed pretty much every ball I hit, so this gave me some confidence. The second match was a little bit more difficult as the opposition bowled well and I struggled to 20 not out. But I saved my best performance till last, as I hit a blistering 41 not out off just 16 balls as I went out there and showed my new team-mates what I can do at the crease.

I think for me that this tournament may have opened a few eyes and made them believe that I am a decent player. Of course I wouldn’t play in such an attacking manner in a 50 over game, but I played proper cricket shots and played with positive intent from the off.

When I came off after my innings, a few of the lads said that I need to relax and play like that on Saturdays. Which is easier said than done, but I think they are right really. I get to nervous and my cricket suffers due to this, I need to back my ability because I do have some potential.

On Monday night, I went for a session with my coach straight away after work. He wanted me to just focus on hitting the ball and not worrying about how many times I got out. He had got my friend along, Tom Dolby, who is a quick opening bowler…so it was testing but it think I probably came out on top as Tom only had me edge the ball once, but apart from that I think I played really well.

The coach reminded me that I am a good player, but the longer I keep sulking about my poor start to the season, then the longer my rut is bound to carry on for. But I think that I am coming out of it now, and must make the most of those weeks when I am in my best form, and turn this around into a positive season.

No comments: