Pierce Morley-Barnes, of Cricket World®, writes about his progress as an aspiring county cricketer...

Friday 30 May 2008

New Challenges...

Over the next few weeks I had been contemplating a move to a different club for a number of different reasons, the main one being that I wanted to play more competitive cricket and a bigger role for my team in the ECB Premier League.

Lindum had offered me to go and play last year, which tempted me but I declined. So it was a simple choice really to go and move to the Lincoln based club, who are actually Bracebridge Heath’s local rivals.

I just felt that my time at Bracebridge Heath was at an end and I had fulfilled all I wanted too at the club. Sometimes you have to move on when you don’t want to, but I am sure the move to Lindum will benefit me all-round.

Thus far, I have played a few games for Lindum. Originally I was supposed to play my first game against Bracebridge in a Twenty20 cup match, but I was unable to due to a few transfer reasons. In fact Lindum defeated Bracebridge in a close encounter that saw them win with one ball remaining, I had mixed emotions but overall I was pleased to see how much it meant to another side to beat Bracebridge who hardly ever lose and have won the League for the last six years.

Since then I was involved in two wins in my first two games but I wasn’t able to show the best of my ability with the bat.

I hit a decent 20 and 40 odd when opening the batting and felt that I showed glimpses of what I can do, but it is not enough. Still I am in awful form and have never had a patch like this before during my career. It is making me get down on myself and I am doing all I can to rectify the situation. Every player during there career has these slumps and I will hopefully come out of it soon and be a better player because of it.

With the ball, I have been bowling well in the nets in from of my new team mates and will hopefully get more recognition. I do have the potential with the ball as I have taken 6-15 opening the bowling for a Bracebridge side, but have struggled with consistency. I took 2-25 during my first bowl for Lindum, up the hill and into the wind but I felt like it was a positive performance.

Unfortunately my first county game of the season was cancelled as I was due to play for Lincolnshire against Huntingdonshire, but the weather halted any chances of getting onto the pitch.

Now I shall play against Haxey in the premier league this Saturday and then play in a 6-a-side ‘slogathon’ on Sunday which might get me into some form as I have no time do build an innings – meaning that I will just be trying to be positive from the start.

This weekend, I am determined to do well for my club and show my new team mates what I can do. I am very comfortable and love the team atmosphere because they are a great set of lads, hopefully success at my new club will come soon!

Pierce

No comments: