Pierce Morley-Barnes, of Cricket World®, writes about his progress as an aspiring county cricketer...

Thursday 31 January 2008

The ups and downs of a cricketer...

Today was both good and bad. I received my first month’s wages for my new job, but then also got a letter from Leicestershire saying that I am not what they are looking for at the moment.

I am a bit gutted really, because I thought that the trial went pretty well. I did not bat half as well as I can, but I bowled really well. I backed out of bowling my spinners and decided to bowl my seamers. I think that I am now just going to stick with them as I am more confident bowling them.

I now need to take the positives out of the trial. I am only 17 years old, Leicestershire is only one of 18 different counties and this was a trial for the 2nd team, so it was still a good experience.

I now hope that Nottinghamshire will give me a few 2nd team games over the summer and I will play well for my club side, and if so Leicestershire will see what they are missing!

I finally think now that I am going to cut out the fast food. As soon as I got to Grace Road, we were thrown into a bleep test. I scored 11.2, it was the first bit of fitness I had done for a while so that wasn’t too bad, but I want to get a lot more in future.

Now the hard work starts!

No comments: