Pierce Morley-Barnes, of Cricket World®, writes about his progress as an aspiring county cricketer...

Friday 25 January 2008

Some Improvement Needed...In All Forms Of The Game!

Finally I got back into the nets on Wednesday night. After a dismal display in office cricket against my fitness guru ‘JP’, it was time to focus on getting back into the groove and ready for my trial for Leicestershire on Wednesday.

My coach told me to just focus on quite simply getting bat on ball, forgetting about getting the correct technique. I did not feel that great when batting to be honest, I was lethargic and it took me a while to get my feet going and striking the ball cleanly.

It was good to get back to playing cricket, even if it was not my best session. This is expected though as I have had a month or so out of training. This was also the first time that I had bowled my off-spinners and they were actually not half as bad as I expected them to be.

I am going to be netting with Lincolnshire firsts on Sunday and then have a hit on the bowling machine after that. I plan on being positive when batting and trying to attack the bowlers as these days, young cricketers firstly play in the one day competitions instead of the four day games!

Currently South Africa are playing West Indies on television which I am watching and just looking at how the batsman adapt in a one day game. I think while ‘JP’ works, I shall try and refine my office cricket technique as I am 1-0 down in the series after the most appalling start to my office cricket career. I am sure that ‘JP’ has been practicing this for months as he continues to establish himself as the Cricket World number one office cricket player.

No comments: