Pierce Morley-Barnes, of Cricket World®, writes about his progress as an aspiring county cricketer...

Thursday 17 January 2008

Keeping Fit Challenge

Since my last blog, I am afraid to say that I have been unable to get into the nets and get back to getting ready for the 2008 season, mainly as I am in the working world now, so time is limited to go at refine my weaknesses as much as I used to be able to.

As I have been unwell lately, it was a pleasant surprise to receive an email from Leicestershire County Cricket Club on Tuesday morning, offering me a trial later on in the month at Grace Road. I could not stop smiling for the rest of the day as this was another step on the ladder into making it as a professional if everything goes well.

It has come to my attention, and those around me that I should really start to try and do some fitness training for the upcoming trial. I was ordered by my Editor and “Fitness Guru” that I should maybe think about doing some more exercise at lunch instead of wandering 10 yards across the road to get a KFC. With this in mind, we decided to walk a little further to enable me to go and get a lovely salad!

I have contacted my coach and I think I will be hitting the nets after work and trying to get onto the bowling machine. I think a break from cricket might have done me good as I often worry about my game to much, when in fact it does not even need to be changed. A few sessions on the bowling machine, getting back into the flow of things and trying to get my feet going should be all that is needed. I would just love to get into the Leicestershire set up as they do seem to be giving youth a go. Hopefully I will produce the goods…only time will tell.

Slight panic though, as I am a little unsure as to what I am going to do bowling wise. With my spinners definitely not ready to be fizzed down, I think I may have to bowl my seamers as they would undoubtedly be more impressive at the moment.

Anyway, now back to working on the next Cricket World magazine. I will keep you posted with what is going on over the next few weeks. Although, I don’t know how I will manage without my regular KFCs!

No comments: