Pierce Morley-Barnes, of Cricket World®, writes about his progress as an aspiring county cricketer...

Monday 7 January 2008

2008 And Beyond...

Hi Everyone,

I am a 17 year old young cricketer from Lincoln. I have just recently joined the Cricket World team and am going to write a blog about my cricketing progress in 2008. I am aspiring to be a professional cricketer as it is my life long ambition. Over the years I have represented Lincolnshire in every age group, trained with Nottinghamshire Academy and played club cricket for Bracebridge Heath in Lincolnshire who have won the ECB Premier League for the last six years running.

Last year I was the leading run scorer in the whole of Bracebridge Heath Cricket Club scoring 1169 runs for them, including three centuries, two against sides in the Nottinghamshire Premier league and the other was a slogging session in which I hit 149 not out off 93 balls.

In all forms of cricket including county and school matches I was close to 2000 runs in the season with one more century to add and 15 50s.

For the county my top score was 83 which is really disappointing for me as I got starts in every game but never reached those three figures. It was great to play two day cricket for the second year running and have 102 overs to bat in a day. It made me realise again that I want to spend my days playing on the cricket field and trying to entertain.

I am a right handed opening batsman by trade, but when I have had to adapt when playing for Bracebridge Heath firsts I have been batting in the middle order and giving the ball a good hit near the end of an innings which is what I like to do. I love to hit boundaries all of the time. This in fact is one of my weaknesses as I always look to get bat on ball from early on so I will need to be more patient when it comes to the longer format of cricket in the 2008 season.

On the downside my bowling was a complete shambles this year. At the end of the 2007 season I spoke with my coach Mark Fell (ex-Nottinghamshire player and Lincolnshire first team manager) about what I should do. We decided that I was going to turn into an off-spinner over the winter as I would prove much more valuable to a team as a top order batsman who bowls off-spin, rather than sending down some wayward seamers.

I started winter nets about a month after the season had finished. I have been going down to the nets with a friend and team mate Brett Houston who has helped me with my bowling. I really hated college when I was there and in between my time when I was not at college or employed then I was practising my cricket. Batting-wise I have been focusing on the short ball as because I am now looking to get a second team contract with a first class county. I will have to be able to take a bombardment of short stuff. Unfortunately the first ball of this session did hit me on the shoulder and from then on I think I have taken at least four or five hits a session. Its got to the point where I think a bit of front foot work would be nice to help my battered upper body!

Unfortunately, I have not trained since just before Christmas when I was netting with the Lincolnshire first team. Now as I work for Cricket World I am not netting all hours of the day. But I will be looking forward to getting more evening sessions in after work so that I can try and fulfil my dream of being a professional cricketer and more importantly, try out my new Gray Nicolls Nitro Pro Performance bat!

Cheers,

Pierce

2 comments:

J.Ollivierre said...

Goodluck on your cricketing life! I hope you make it but don't terrorize the West indians and I'll be more happy for you.

roy said...

I was one of the umpires when Pierce made his whirlwind 149 not out,vurtually winning the game off his own bat.what he does not mention is that it was at the end of the season and virtually in the dark.In most other circumstances we would have offered the batsmen the light,but nothing was going to stop Pierce.It was an innings of great maturity and concentration,with only one chance,dropped by the wicketkeeper when on 70.
Most pleasing was the fact that he was modest in success;a good example to other young cricketers and those not-so-young too!
We shall see a lot more of him in the future,I am sure.
Good Luck in 2008,not just with the batting,but with that useful off-spin too!