Pierce Morley-Barnes, of Cricket World®, writes about his progress as an aspiring county cricketer...

Monday 16 June 2008

79 Not Out

This weekend saw my first real good knock of the year, as I hit an unbeaten 79 not out to secure a ten wicket victory for Lindum within 19 overs, chasing down 120. After having a bit of luck at the start of my innings, I found that using my feet to all the bowlers got me into a positive frame of mind and I was able to punish the bowlers.

Securing this knock was very important for me as it has shown my new team-mates what I can do again, as all the promise is not just words. But more importantly, it has probably given me a few more shots at batting at the top of the order over the next few weekends.

With the ball I also bowled well, I took 2-16 off my overs as I took both of my wickets with slower balls that bowled the batsmen as they were through the shot way to early. I feel that I am getting a bit more pace and I think that if I hit the gym a fair bit between now and next year, then I should come back at a genuine all-rounder.

Next I will play for Lindum over the weekend in the ECB Premier League and then two Lincolnshire Development Squad games against Huntingdonshire and Essex Academy (on my 18th birthday).

I think more practice in the nets is needed as my head seems to be falling over a little bit making me off balanced, but apart from that, I feel more like my old self from last year. I need to believe in myself and be more relaxed at the crease – then I can show what I can do.

No comments: